Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Synchronous Rotation

I can barely say that title, let alone know what it is! 
Can we just say it!  The moon rotates around the Earth, it spins, like really slow, but it spins!
The moon is SO slow that it takes 27.3 days to make 1 spin around the Earth.  And, it takes 27.3 days to make 1 revolution around the Earth.  Say what??

I know crazy, huh? 
It doesn't look like its spinning, but it really is! So, I wonder why?
It's actually the fault of gravity...the moon is tidally locked to the Earth. The gravity of the Earth causes oceanic tides and it also causes the moon to e-l-o-n-g-a-t-e.  If the moon were to spin any faster, the gravity from Earth would slow it down.  So, it's tidally locked to Earth. Forever. Unless something horrible happens....




If you have two minutes this little video is great!

Don't you love the moon just a little bit more?

1 comment:

  1. I like the "Say what?!" I also like your room

    ReplyDelete